Its been a hectic couple of months. But love every minute of it. Always hard to find a good work life balance, even after fifthteen years. but as they say “chosse a job you love, and you’ll never work a day in your life”. This is a dish that i created one day for fun, its simple, tasty, fresh and gluten free.
200g caster sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 vanilla pod
1) first off you prepare the Poaching syrup. add everything into a pot except apricots.
2) bring to the boil. cut apricots in half and remove stone. add to syrup and lightly simmer for two minutes depending on how firm they are.
Lemon Almond cake
zest of 2 lemons
300g caster sugar
300g ground almonds
125g fine polenta
1 tsp baking powder
250ml Olive oil
1) add eggs, oil and sugar to a bowl and mix.
2) next the lemon zest and dry ingredients. fold in to form a batter.
3) Bake in oven at 175 degrees for 45 mins in a bread tin.
400g caster sugar
13g baking soda
1) put everthing into a pot except baking soda. this is where you will need a thermometer. bring sugar to 135 – 145 degrees ( being extra careful as this is very, very hot sugar)
2) at this stage have a tray lines with baking paper. add the baking soda this is were it will expand. so mix all the way through. while pouring into the lined tray. leave to set. but not too long, as honeycomb softens with air exposure.
130g lemon juice
300g caster sugar
140g Butter unsalted
1) once again add everything to a pot.
2) put on a low heat, stirring all the time. do not let boil as it will over cook.
3) once thick and coating the wooden spoon or spatula. puree with stick blender and pass to a fine seive. let cool with clingfilm lightly laid on top as to stop a skin from forming.
Lemon curd ice-cream
1 vanilla pod scraped
130g caster sugar
85g egg yolk
150g lemon curd
1) this recipe needs a pacojet jet and container.
2) take milk and bring to boil.
3) Whisk egg yolks, sugar and vanilla, till pale.
4) pour over half milk into eggs mix. and pour back into pot. cook to 84 degrees
5) add cream and curd whisk till combined. add to pacojet containers. freeze for 24 hours
To plate up add curd to a bottle. make a spiral effort. break honeycomb to pieces. cut lemon almond cake into squares. quenelle ice-cream.